About me (Babak Naimi)...
Currently, I hold the position of postdoc researcher at University of Copenhagen, and before that a research associate at the Imperial College London, to work in Miguel Araújo’s lab. My research interests revolve around spatio-temporal statistics, environmental modelling, and the interface between geo-informatics and environmental science. In particular, I am interested in developing new methods for environmental dyna modelling under climate change and land use change scenarios to improve their ability for understanding of ecological processes associated with the patterns in biodiversity as well as to deal with the challenges in the methods. I have a keen interest to continuing research on understanding and quantifying uncertainties in ensembles of environmental models while focusing on the application of geo-informatics. I am also highly motivated to expand the focus of my research to study and model critical transitions in ecosystems in the face of climate change.
Another area of my interests is scientific software development (either desktop or web-based) specially using open-source technologies. I always do programming joyfully because it allows me to get a maximum level of understanding of problems, enhance my abilities to deal with problems, and furthermore, I can bring something into being that does not exist.
Date and place of birth: 24th August 1975
Address: CMEC, University of Copengagen, Universitetparken 15,
DK-2100, Copenhagen, Denmark
Education & Training:
- PhD (Spatial ecology and Biogeography: Dealing with error and uncertainty) - 2009-2013
- PhD (Spatial decision support system for land-use planning) - 2004-2008
Department of Environment and Energy, IAU, Tehran, Iran
- M.Sc. (GIS & Remote Sensing) - 1998-2000
Department of Geography, Tarbiat Modarres University, Tehran, Iran
- B.Sc. (Natural Resources: Rangeland & Watershed Management) - 1994-1998
Gorgan university of agricultural sciences and natural resources, Gorgan, Iran
- Applied spatio-temporal data analysis with FOSS: R+OSGeo - Geostat 2011, Landau, Germany
- System Analysis and Modelling - 2011, ITC, Netherlands
- Web Technology for GIS and Mapping - 2011, ITC, Natherlands
- Geostatistics and Open-Source Statistical Computing - 2010 - ITC, Netherlands
- Bayesian statistics - 2009 - Wageningen university, Netherlands
- Assessment and Propagation of Uncertainty in Spatially Distributed Environmental Modelling - 2009 - Fiva, Denmark
- Design and Implementation of Database - 2002 - Cybertech, Iran
- Programming skills - 2001 - Cybertech, Iran
- Spatio-temporal statistics
- Spatial ecology and biogeography; species distribution modelling
- Climate Change and its consequence on ecological systems
- Open-source software development
Grants and Awards:
- ITC research award for the best scientific paper, 2011
- Best research presentation award - ITC, 2010
- Travel grant from International Biogeography Society to attend and give a presentation at Conference, 2011
- Erasmus Mundus PhD scholarship from European Commission to obtain a PhD degree at ITC, The Netherlands 2008-2012
- Full PhD scholarship from IAU university to obtain a PhD degree at IAU, Iran 2004-2008
- Full Scholarship from Science and Technology ministery of Iran to study MSc at Tarbiat Modarres University, Iran, 1998-2000
- Full Scholarship from Science and Technology ministery of Iran to study BSc at Gorgan University of Agriculture and Natural Resources, 1994-1998
- Assistant professor, IAU university, Tehran, Iran - 2011-2013
- Faculty member, IAU university, Tehran, Iran - 2005-2008
- Project coordinator & Spatial Analyst, SAP consulting engineers Co. Tehran, Iran - 2001-2005
- Spatial Analyst, Remote Sensing Consulting Engineers Co., Tehran, Iran - 2000-2001
- GIS & Remote Sensing software: ArcGIS, GRASS GIS, SAGA GIS, ENVI, Imagine ERDAS, Idrisi, Ilwis
- Programming language: R, Python, C++/C, Java script, Visual Basic
- Database Management System: PostgreSQL, PostGIS, MS SQL Server, MS Access, Esri ArcSDE
- Web GIS: MapServer, OpenLayers, Node.js, Java script, HTML, Geo django
Refereed Journal Publications:
- Taheri, Sh.,Naimi, B., Araujo, M.B. (2016) Did British breeding birds move north in the late 20th Century?. Climate Change Responses. 3 (5), DOI: 10.1186/s40665-016-0020-5
- Naimi, B., Araujo, M.B. (2016), sdm: a reproducible and extensible R framework for species distribution modelling. Ecography 39 (4), 368-375 , doi: 10.1111/ecog.01881 (Cover paper)
- Martnez-Lpez, J.,Martnez-Fernndez, J., Naimi, B., Carreo, M.F., & Esteve, M.A. (2014) An open-source spatio-dynamic wetland model of plant community responses to hydrological pressures. Environmental modelling & Software.In press.
- Salati. S., Ruitenbeek, F.V., var der Meer, F.,Naimi, B. (2014) Detection of Alteration Induced by Onshore Gas Seeps from ASTER and WorldView-2 Data. Remote Sensing. 6(4), 3188-3209.
- Naimi, B. Hamm, N.A.S., Groen, T.A., Skidmore, A.K., Toxopeus, A. (2014) Where is positional uncertainty important for species distribution modelling? Ecography, 37 (2), DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0587.2013.00205.x
- Gholamalifard, M., Esmaili-Sari, A., Abkar, A., & Naimi, B. (2013). Bathymetric Modeling from Satellite Imagery via Single Band Algorithm (SBA) and Principal Components Analysis (PCA) in Southern Caspian Sea. International Journal of Environmental Research, 7(4), 877-886.
- Gholamalifard, M., Kutser, T., Esmaili-Sari, A., Abkar, A., & Naimi, B. (2013). Remotely Sensed Empirical Modeling of Bathymetry in the Southeastern Caspian Sea. Remote Sensing, 5(6), 2746-2762.
- Gholamalifard, Mehdi, Esmaili-Sari, A., Abkar, A., Naimi, B. and Tiit Kutser (2013). Influence of vertical distribution of phytoplankton on remote sensing signal of Case II waters: southern Caspian Sea case study. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 7(1): 073550-073550.
- Naimi, B. Voinov, A. (2012) StellaR: A software to translate Stella models into R open-source environment. — Environmental modelling & Software. 38: 117-118
- Naimi, B. Skidmore, A.K., Groen, T.A., Hamm, N.A.S. (2011) Spatial Autocorrelation in Predictors Reduces the Impact of Positional Uncertainty in Occurrence Data on Species Distribution Modelling. — Journal of biogeography. 38: 1497-1509
- Abbaspour,M., Mahiny, A.R., Arjmandy, R., Naimi, B. (2011) Integrated approach for land use suitability analysis. — International Agrophysics. 25: 311-318
Conference Publications & Presentations:
- Naimi, B. Hamm, N.A.S., Groen, T.A., Skidmore, A.K., Toxopeus, A. (2013) ELISA: an entropy-based local indicators of spatial assciation. In: Spatial statistics 2013 : Revealing intricacies in spatial and spatio-temporal data with statistics, 4-7 June, 2013, Columbus, Ohio, The USA.
- Naimi, B., Skidmore, A.K., Hamm, N.A.S. and Groen, T.A. (2011) Using local spatial autocorrelation to deal with positional uncertainty of occurence data in species distribution modelling : abstract. In: Spatial statistics 2011 : mapping global change, abstracts for the conference, 23-25 March, 2011, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands / editor A. Stein, , E. Pebesma, , G.B.M. Heuvelink. - Enschede : University of Twente Faculty of Geo-Information and Earth Observation ITC, 2011. 1 p
- Naimi, B., Skidmore, A.K., Groen, T.A. and Hamm, N.A.S. (2011) Spatial autocorrelation in predictors reduces the impact of positional uncertainty in occurrence data on species distribution modelling : abstract. In: Proceedings of the 5th international conference of the International biogeography Society : The advancement of all studies of the geography of nature, 7-11 January, 2011, Irakleion, Crete, Greece. p. 161
- Naimi, B., Skidmore, A.K., Hamm, N.A.S. & Groen, T.A. (2010) Positional error propagation analysis in habitat distribution modelling. In: Proceedings of Accuracy 2010 : 9th International symposium on spatial accuracy assessment in natural resources and envionrmental sciences, 20-23 July, 2010, Leicester, United Kingdom. / ed. by, N.J.Tate and P.F. Fisher. Leicester; University of Leicester on behalf of the International Spatial Accuracy Research Association (ISARA), 2010. pp. 409-412
- Naimi, B., Alimohammadi, A., Rahimipouri, H. (2006) Design and Implementation of Geographic Information Systems for Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) in Iran, 7th international symposium of ICOPMAS, Tehran, Iran
- Goljani, R., Kaboli, M., Karami, M., Naimi, B., Shabani, A.A. (2010) Fall habitat suitability modelling of central Alborz wild ship (Ovis gmelini X O. vignei) in Jajrood protected complex, Iran, Journal of natural environment (Iranian Journal of Natural Resources), 63(2):173-186.
- Davar, L., Daneh Kar, A., Riazi, B., Mahiny, A.S., Naimi, B., (2010) Comparison effectiveness of NOAA and IMO methods for identification of environmentally sensitive coastal areas in Sistan and Balochestan Province, Journal of Environmental Sciences and Technology, 12(1): 113-136
- Mahiny, A.S., Riazi, B., Naimi, B., Kafaki, S.B., Larijani, A.J. (2009) Evaluation of ecotourism potential in Behshahr using a multi-criteria evluation method and GIS, Journal of Environmental Sciences and Technology, 11(1): 187-198
- Naimi, B., Alimohammadi, A., (2000) Modelling spatial distribution of floristic biodiversity using landsat TM satellite images (case study: Golestan National Park, Iran), Tarbiat modarres University, Tehran, Iran